Thursday, September 2, 2010

Towards dress and tech

So tomorrow we start the process of introducing more elements into the piece. Tomorrow whilst rehearsing we will be working with both costume and music and then over the weekend we will be adding in lights and the projections. It is exciting as each addition brings new elements to respond to, to be aware of and enhance the ongoing work of the piece.

The rehearsal process so far has been an intense time with welcomed challenges that have really pushed me (and continue to push me). In the rehearsal process, as we worked through the units of the play and the characters grew older within the narratives and the layers developed I found I needed to sensitize towards shifts in feeling within the units and the tempos within the piece.

As Sarah discusses previously, one of the biggest challenges of this piece is creating life-altering moments in a few words or even just a physical and vocal shift. For myself there is a lot of narrative delivered in direct address. Since the last rehearsal I have been trying to solidify those parts of narration wherein I am relaying that which is happening right there at that moment, and trying to communicate this with clarity; conjuring the characters who are present in that moment, the place I am in, and the time.

The play is broken into units - chapters of the sister’s life. As the work on each unit has becomes more detailed and the emotional heights that are reached become more present in our bodies, it is very important to be aware of making each unit of the story distinct and not allowing huge resonances from a unit to carry through to the next without marking a shift. Here I am trying to work with physical shifts within the body, a changing of an emotional point held within in my body, an image coming into focus into my mind, an adding of weight both physically and in my mind as time moves on and the layers of the story resonate.

It has been a week since last we met and I am looking forward to returning to our Vanessa and Virginia world, building more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment